I get you – when most people think of handbags and wallets, cork isn’t the first fabric that comes to mind!
But here’s where it gets interesting…
If you’re committed to products that are stylish and durable and tread lightly on this fragile planet, cork is actually one of the best materials out there.
Here are just a few wonderful things about cork:
- Cork comes from the tree Quercus Suber (also known as Cork Oak). Cork fabric comes from the thick and knobbly dark grey bark of the Cork Oak
- Cork Oak is the only tree with the ability to regenerate its bark. That means a cork tree can be stripped of its bark once every 9-12 years without causing damage to the tree. That’s sustainability!
- A single cork tree can live for 200 years – which means its cork can be harvested up to 16 times during its lifespan
- 50% of the world’s cork comes from southern Portugal. The industry is so important to Portugal that the Cork Oak is protected by national law to ensure its sustainability
And a few cool things about cork properties. Cork is:
- Water resistant, and easy to clean with soap and water
- Mildew and odor resistant
- Mosquito repellent
- Stain resistant
- Fire retardant; flames will only char the surface, and no toxic fumes are generated
- Highly resilient. After being crushed under a pressure of 14,000 lbs, cork will regain 90% of its original size in 24 hours!
Sughero Cork Products
Sughero is a new, contemporary brand that aims to go beyond fashion. It promotes the need of sharing awareness and social responsibility for nature and life, supporting a healthy, and more sustainable way of living, in order to bring more happiness in people, less suffering for animals and great respect for the ecosystem.
This is what we call “slow fashion” – defined as being mindful in the way a product is produced and sold.
Every item by Sughero is made by hand and uses materials and techniques that are gentle on nature.
The cork fabric used in Sughero products are available in a unique assortment of natural textures, patterns and designs, and produced with different backing material.
Sughero uses the highest quality pieces of cork that are placed onto a natural rubber backing. The next step is the coloring process – all dyeing processes are done with water-based colors.
After the coloring stage, the sheets of cork fabric are hand-cut into the various shapes and the lining applied by hand.
For more elegance and comfort, the cork fabric is lined with soft eco-friendly suede that is made from recycled material.
Each Sughero product is finished with beautiful accessories. The natural wooden teak puller is a precious and unique detail by Sughero, designed to be practical and strong. The rings on each hand made piece are brass and nano-coated. The slider and zipper on each Sughero item are of the highest quality on the market.
To maintain the cork’s natural beauty, gently wipe the fabric with warm water and organic soap.